The process is valid for complaints raised by any stakeholder. Stakeholders include our existing customers, scheme owners, regulatory bodies and third party stakeholders (e.g. a customer of our certified customer and other interest groups)
A complaint is normally an expression of dissatisfaction sent to DNV GL - Business Assurance related to:
- A decision in the certification process, how we deliver our services, the content of the services, how we organize our work etc.
- The performance of a DNV GL certificate holder (third party complaint)
An appeal occurs when a stakeholder is not accepting a decision made by DNV GL - Business Assurance, e.g. related to suspension or withdrawal of certificates, and decisions and response to registered complaints.
The below is an extract of the processes.
- A written complaint can be sent either as e-mail or by letter (see contact information below) and should as a minimum contain the following:
- Name of the person filing the complaint
- Company name (if relevant)
- Post address and/or e-mail address
- Reference to service, office, area etc.
- The reason for the complaint
- The received complaint will be registered by DNV GL by the relevant local unit.
- A person responsible for the handling of the complaint will be appointed and relevant management is notified.
- An initial response will be sent to the complainant within 5 working days, as minimum to acknowledge the receipt of the complaint.
- The complaint will be validated based on collected information, analyzed and needed corrections and corrective actions decided and implemented
- Proper records from the complaints handling are retained.
- A DNV GL authorized person who has not previously been involved in the complaint-handling process will send a written response to the complainant with the outcome of the process and DNV GLs decision. The complainant shall be informed about possibility to appeal the decision on a complaint in case the response is not considered satisfactory.
- Complaint to certificate holder should be first raised to the certificate holder before submitting to DNV GL.
When DNV GL receives an appeal e.g. related to a complaint decision or a certification decision (including e.g. suspension/withdrawal) the following apply:
- The appeal is registered by DNV GL by the relevant local unit
- Receipt of appeal shall be acknowledged to the appellant.
- The case and appeal will be handled by appropriate management personnel who have not been previously involved in the disputed decision. The case may, when deemed appropriate, be presented to persons independent to DNV GL for their opinion (e.g. the Certification Impartiality Committee).
- Appellant shall be informed in writing about the output/decision of the appeals-handling process.
- Proper records from the appeals process shall be retained.
Complaints addressing the performance of one of our customers will normally be forwarded to the customer for their considerations and response. All other complaints will be kept confidential unless otherwise agreed with the complainant.
Unless a contact person is known for the complainant please contact us through the contact form or use the following address: DNV GL Business Assurance USA, Inc. 1400 Ravello Drive, Katy, TX 77449.