By providing freely accessible tools for visualising and analysing comprehensive and high-quality data, supplemented by an extensive collection of technical resources, AFI helps ship owners and other maritime stakeholders monitor the global uptake of alternative fuels and assess the best options for their own vessels.
The decision of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) to limit fuel sulphur content from 1 January 2020, and the recently adopted ambition to halve GHG emission by 2050 mean the world’s future fleet will have to rely on a broader range of fuels and adopt novel propulsion solutions and energy efficiency measures.
All alternative fuel options are accompanied by benefits and challenges. Prerequisites for introducing a new fuel include availability of sufficient production and distribution facilities as well as an adequate bunkering infrastructure. In addition, new fuels in many cases require extensive on-board modifications, which brings complexity and cost.
DNV GL developed the Alternative Fuel Insight (AFI) platform to support the shipping industry’s transition to a cleaner, green future. It provides a complete overview on developments of alternative fuels and technologies, covering both investments on ships and in bunkering infrastructure.
A core aim is to improve clarity for a range of stakeholders allowing them to make informed decisions. It will assist ship owners select a fuel for the vessels they order today and in coming years, and fuel suppliers weighing up investment in new bunkering infrastructure. Maritime authorities will benefit from increased transparency, while equipment suppliers can gather intelligence for product development strategies.
Because the maritime fuel landscape is continually evolving, AFI is not a static platform. To encourage industry collaboration, and to ensure the information presented on AFI is up to the minute, users can submit updates on the status of existing bunkering projects for alternative fuels or share details of new ones.
Freely accessible quality data
- Bunkering infrastructure for LNG and methanol
- Uptake of LNG, LPG, scrubber, batteries and methanol
- Flexible visualisations based on quality assured data
- Technical insights for making informed decisions
Interactive Fuel Finder
- Ship owners can connect with suppliers of alternative fuels by submitting bunker requests
- Fuel suppliers can review and respond to unique bunker requests from ship owners
Accelerating market uptake
- Free access to reliable, up-to-date data on the uptake of alternative fuels and technologies
- Improved information base for making better decisions and developing an adoption roadmap
Technical and financial benchmarking
- Additional benchmarking for scrubbers, methanol, LPG, battery and hydrogen
- High-level technical screening of alternative fuel project feasibility
- Financial benchmarking including CAPEX, OPEX and fuel prices