Failures in the BOP control system may lead to problems that make it necessary to abort drilling operation, and possibly pull the BOP. This, in turn, leads to non-productive time and lost revenue.
DNV GL supports you into detecting hidden software errors, erroneous configuration parameters, and design flaws using state-of-the-art hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) testing technology. We simulate real-life operational and failure scenarios that would be too costly, risky or even impossible to test on a live system.
The BOP control system can either be tested in a test set-up at vendor location or in a virtual test bed in an HIL test lab. A BOP HIL simulator covers a project-specific BOP stack with different types of valves, accumulators, diverter system, choke and kill systems, to name just a few. The test set-up also includes several control panels such as the drillers control panel, toolpusher control panel and diverter control panel. The test set-up for a deep-water BOP can, in addition to a BOP HIL simulator, also include a signal failure simulator connected between the topside and the subsea control system.
Our BOP HIL simulator responds to the commands from the BOP control system in a realistic manner, and feedback from sensors and actuators to the control system is simulated according to the project-specific BOP. The control system responds as it would with the BOP in real operation. This means that functionality, failure handling capability and safety-critical software barriers can be tested systematically in a controlled environment.
Benefits from our life-cycle services for BOP control systems:
- Support reliability and smooth operations by testing software updates, failure handling capability and safety-critical software ahead of the operational phase in a controlled environment
- Save costs by minimizing the risk of future software failure
- Reliable verification and proven compliancy thanks to testing according to rules and regulations, functional descriptions and user manuals
- Reduce the risk of downtime caused by software design flaws and erroneous configuration parameters
- Ensure safe and efficient operations by securing the robustness of the control system