Environmental technology and alternative fuels
Senior Risk Engineer
Explore our advisory services networkGo to network
We deliver feasibility studies, technology qualification and in-depth analysis of the real-life use of compliance solutions.
To comply with stricter environmental regulations and limit costs, ship owners need to evaluate alternatives to traditional fuels and technologies. But which option is best for a ship’s actual operational setting?
As marine and industrial engineers, economists and environmental specialists, we have the deep knowledge across multiple disciplines to offer reliable solutions.
We advise the maritime sector on environmental regulations and compliance options, we measure and benchmark your environmental performance, support you in making the best business decisions on environmental technology, and help turn environmental performance into a marketing advantage.
Our services in environmental technology and alternative fuels include:
- Fuel strategy decision support - Financial, technical and regulatory evaluations of fuel and emission abatement alternatives. Based on the experience from hundreds of feasibility studies and independent research work, we can offer well-proven and structured approaches to benchmarking and selection of alternative fuels and technologies for newbuild and existing ships (such as low sulphur fuel oils, LNG, LPG, methanol, biofuels, hydrogen, fuel cell, scrubber, SCR/EGR, battery (hybrid and plug-in configurations), VOC management, ballast water):
- Technical feasibility study with energy/fuel storage requirements, suitable tank locations and engines etc. based on client’s operational profile
- Financial benchmarking including CAPEX and OPEX estimates and fuel price scenarios
- Assessing robustness of newbuilding strategies – The Carbon Robustness framework
Moving forward the uncertainty facing the industry seem only to increase, with potential for big shifts. It is not clear which fuels and technologies will win in the short or long term. How to choose a robust design for ships ordered today? To help navigate this future, and manage the uncertainty, DNV GL has developed the Carbon Robustness framework to assist ship-owners in “future proofing” their vessels to secure long-term competitiveness and profitability. The framework test competitiveness for individual designs under different scenarios – considering: Fuel & technology, Regulations, and Risk related to market. The main idea is to assess the competitiveness of your designs, against a fleet of competing ships in the short or long term perspective. For more details, visit https://eto.dnvgl.com/2018/maritime.
- Alternative Fuels Insight (AFI) platform
DNV GL’s new AFI platform (https://afi.dnvgl.com) offers a comprehensive and continually updated overview of alternative fuel projects, bunkering infrastructure, suppliers, and technologies. Initial focus is on LNG bunkering infrastructure and uptake of LNG, scrubbers and batteries on ships, but other fuels are also covered to some extent. The platform consolidates a wealth of detailed technical information on these fuels and technologies, and both content and features will be further improved and expanded over time. With most of the information free to access, the AFI platform is a valuable resource for anyone in the maritime industry needing to research and keep up to date in this rapidly moving sector.
- Scrubbers – we provide a wide range of technical and commercial services related to scrubbers for newbuildings and retrofits
- Technology qualification – determination of whether a solution is fit for its given purpose
- Emission analyses and assessments – tailor-made studies on fuels, technologies, regulations, emissions and environmental accounting, policy instruments and activity-based ship data (AIS)
We have been a designated technical advisor for the Norwegian NOx Fund since 2008. The NOx-Fund is an incentive arrangement that provides financial support for investments in emission abatement technology.
DNVG GL has been initiator of Green Coastal Shipping Programme, a partnership programme between government and industry aiming at creating the world’s most effective and environmentally-friendly fleet of coastal vessels.
Choose DNV GL to support you in profiting from greener shipping:
- Make smart investments to comply with upcoming environmental regulations
- Profit from technology that is well adapted to your vessel’s operational setting
- Gain confidence through our support and our expertise – so you can focus on your core business
- Strengthen your brand through greater efficiency with a smaller environmental footprint
- Benefit from an independent, third-party opinion